Rather than spending the big bucks for store bought Kombucha, make your own and get excited about it. I count the days until I can pour my next batch.
I've reached my one year anniversary with my sexy Scoby. The scoby (AKA the Kombucha mother, the mushroom thingy, the gross looking, jelly-fish look alike) is what makes the magic happen when it comes to Kombucha brewing. If the scoby is happy, you're happy.
Kombucha has a multitude of benefits similar to those of other fermented foods:
-Aids wait loss
-Helps you sleep better
Here's how to make your own!
First a couple things you should be aware of:
- Every batch tastes a bit different-this is expected. It is all part of the excitement and a taste of your unique personal touch. Taste and amount of carbonation will vary depending on the time it is left to ferment.
- Always have clean (non-soapy) hands when handling the Scoby and the glass jar the Scoby calls home
- Don't use soap to wash the glass jar - just rinse it well with hot water each time
- Scoby - either from a friend (after each brewing cycle, the Scoby creates a new layer, so your friend can share their Scoby with you by pealing off a layer and transfering it to you in a plastic bag with some of it's liquid), or from a Kombucha starter kit (found at Whole Foods, or other health stores)
- 7 bags of organic black tea
- 1.5 or 2 cups organic white sugar - don't hold back, this is the Scoby's food
- large glass jar (make sure it's 100% glass with no plastic hidden in there)
- cheese cloth
Here's what to do:
1) Bring 4 cups of water to a boil in a pot
2 ) Once boiling, turn off element
3) Add the black tea bags and sugar to the water, and stir
4) Let the tea sit and steep for 10 minutes
(At day 10, taste it to see if its bubbly- if not, leave it for a few more days until you like the amount of bubbles !)
10) Once it's finished fermenting to your liking, carefully take the Scoby out and place it on a plate (rough side down) while you get the next batch ready.
11) Pour the kombucha into mason jars
Here I've used something different for each jar:
-and dried lavender
Tighten the lids and store in the fridge for maximum, lip-smacking, carbonated refreshments!
Nice work brew master!
Don't forget to talk or sing to the Scoby to keep it happy….!
Too hippy for you? Ok, just enjoy the refreshing boosh you have proudly just created in your home.